Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hustlers Of Life Never Survive

One of my all-time favorite records is Bamboo's 1979 self-titled LP. This is album was produced, mixed, and written by Kurt Hauenstein who is the brilliant mind behind the all of those amazing Supermax releases during the late 70's and early 80's. I find that this very rare album has gained more and more attention since Bamboo's amazing album cut "Spaceship Crashing" was included on the cosmic disco compilation Disco Obscura Presente Cosmic Dancer : Voyage One a few years back. Outside of the "Spaceship Crashing" track, I was unsure, if the whole record would hold up to the same brilliance. And even though I've currently been unsuccessful in hunting down a copy of the actual record, I have been able to get my hands on a digital version of the album. I have to say that just after one listen, I came to the conclusion that this record is amazing, really bridging the gap between early to mid 70's disco and 80's italo with a touch of that cosmic-prog sound that was mastered so well on all of those Supermax records. My favorite cuts on the record include afro-percussion heavy "Hey, Hey, Hey", the cosmic minded "Take What You Want" and the more laid back gem "Hustlers Of Life Never Survive". Overall, this record is an instant classic as well as one of the hardest LP's to find. If your lucky enough to get your hands on one, I highly recommend swiping it up.

Bamboo - Hey, Hey, Hey
Bamboo - Hustlers Of Life Never Survive

Share on Facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"spaceship crashing" is one of the most brilliant pieces of music i've ever heard... thanx for sharing these other tracks.. i'm curious to hear more!

Anonymous said...

I love those female vocals on 'Hustlers' and the laid-back feeling of the track. Nice synthesizer parts as well.